Dr. Purnajit Chatterjee
Dr. Purnajit Chatterjee
Professor in Practice
About the Faculty
Dr. Purnajit Chatterjee is heading Executive Education Programs and is a Professor of Practice in Marketing and International Business, Ramaiah Institute of Management. Earlier he was the Dean of Atria Centre for Management & Entrepreneurship, Bangalore for over 4 years. He had led the MBA program to the prestigious NBA Accreditation, making it the only VTU affiliated college to receive this National Level recognition and only the 4th Institute in Karnataka to have an active NBA accreditation. He has deep knowledge of academic processes and is an expert in OBE for business schools. He has also successfully increased the intake to 120 seats from the prior level of 60 and driven major Revenue growth. Over the years of his tenure as Dean the University results have been very good, the Student Satisfaction ratings excellent and there were extensive Industry and Alumni interactions.
He teaches courses like Marketing Management, International Business, Global Strategic Management, B2B Marketing, Technology Operations & Strategy, Services Marketing, Retail Management, Sales Management and Strategic Management. He has guided 60+ MBA masters projects in Marketing and Finance area to successful completion and co-authored a textbook on ‘Strategic Management’ which is in line with the VTU syllabus.
Purnajit was earlier an established business leader in the IT Industry, who has led multi-Million Dollar deals & business improvement initiatives across Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea, China/Hong Kong, Australia, UK and USA, for over 30 years. He was at IBM for over 20 years in various roles such as Vice President, Associate Partner & General Manager and outside of IBM he has been a GM with Satyam Computer Services, SBU Head at BPL Telecom & Executive VP at Amsoft Information Services.
He is also an active Rotarian with Rotary E-club of Utkrishta.
Some prominent roles performed by him include:
- Purnajit is an active Marketing Strategy mentor with 91Springboard and has mentored multiple companies from India and Singapore. He was also an Advisor with Ganymede Advisory Partners, Orion Consulting Services and Srushti Software Systems.
- Founder and Managing Director on the Board of a start-up, Health-trail Portal Pvt. Ltd. that operates a Health Information Portal and is building a Cloud based Personal Health Record system for subscribers with associated Big Data Health Analytics and Health Risk Profiling
- Led Application Services business for IBM in the ASEAN/SA region with responsibility for Revenue USD 90.8 Million, GP USD 21.5 Million and meeting all service delivery excellence metrics with high Customer Sat, while managing a team of over 1000 professionals across multiple countries
- Led Application Delivery for IBM in India/SA managing Revenue USD 52.6 Million, GP USD 8.9 Million and meeting all service delivery excellence metrics.
- Head of the development centre at Satyam that developed VisionCompass product which was a collaborative enterprise class system for business performance management.
He has managed client relationship and grown business while maintaining high customer satisfaction with customers like DBS Bank, KBANK, NSDC, Goldman Sachs, CSFB, McKinsey & Co, Idea Cellular, Vodafone, Nortel, Medtronic Inc., ADAC Laboratories, Unilever, Shell, Schlumberger, Wonderware Corporation.
Area of Research
Marketing and Strategic Management
D.Litt. (HC) University of Central America, PGDM - IIM Ahmedabad, MSc. (Operations Research) St. Stephen's College - Delhi University, B.Sc.(Hons.) Jadavpur University
Governing Council Member Karnataka Management Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Gold Medal and several other awards for being the best candidate in M.Sc. (All Streams), Delhi University.
- National Scholarship of Govt. of India for Post Graduate Studies.
- Received an award for outstanding contribution to the field of Education & Research from ‘RJS International Multidisciplinary Research Foundation’ on 27th Dec 2021.
- Co-authored a textbook on Strategic Management for MBA students, published by Jayvee International Publications: ISBN 978-81-937403-8-5.
Karnataka Management Association
Training and Consultancy
Purnajit has expertise on building & execution of business plans for SBUs, creating Sales & Marketing plans, IT Consulting, large Application Services organization management, Program/Project management, business development and systems integration
Marketing Management, B2B Marketing, Technology Operations & Strategy, Services Marketing, Retail Management, Sales & Distribution Management, Global Strategic Management and International Business.