Dr. Gururaj B. Urs
Dr. Gururaj B. Urs - Professor (HR-OB & Behavioural Science) & Head (Quality Systems and Accreditation)
About the Faculty
Dr Gururaj B Urs, is a Professor in HR-OB and Behavioural Science, and the Head, Quality Systems and Accreditations (QS & A), and looks after the developing the Quality Management- Assurance-Accreditation based systems at the MS Ramaiah Institute of Management (RIM), Bengaluru.
Dr Gururaj, has successfully completed his Postgraduation and PhD in HR-OB area. The focus of PhD degree was on Organizational Design and Development. He is an Institute builder and in his previous stint, was the Head of the Quality Implementation Centre, for a large composite educational group in Bengaluru, for nine years.
Dr Gururaj, has published more than twenty-five research papers, in various peer reviewed and double-blind journals. He has completed more than a dozen research projects and consulting assignments for the World Bank, Plan India, TNHSP, SJHI and other national organizations. He is a panellist, resource person and has chaired sessions in conferences and seminars, in the areas of Management and Mental Health.
He is a Doctoral guide at VTU Belgaum and MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bengaluru, in HR-OB and Inter disciplinary areas. Further, Dr Gururaj, has successfully completed his UG, PG, MPhil and PhD, all specializing in Psychology / Mental Health. The focus of MPhil and PhD degrees, were developing / standardizing models of Cognitive, Behaviour Therapy and other therapeutic interventions in Oncological, Depression and Dissociative / Conversion disorders, respectively.
He is a trainer and conducts training in Soft skills, OBE, Proctorship system, TQM, HR, Mental Health, and other related areas for Faculty, Staff and Students.
Dr Gururaj, is a consulting Psychotherapist. He conducts Psychodiagnostics and Psychotherapy on a range of mental disorders, across Individual, Couple, Familial and Group formats. He has set up/ implemented Psychological Counselling cell, for the benefit of the students, Faculty and staff.
He supports and works with the CSR activities in the campus and with external agencies and community, over many national / regional pressing issues.
HRM - OB
- PhD Business Management (Specialized in Organizational Design and Development), Jain University, 2017.
- EEC, Entrepreneurship Educators Course (IIM-B / ISB Hyderabad / Stanford University US), 2008.
- MSc (Applied Psychology), Annamalai University, 2006.
- ISO 9001-2000, ZED Academy, 2005.
- DipTD, Diploma in Training and Development, Indian Society for Training and Development, New Delhi, 2005.
- PGDM (HR-OB), National Institute of Personnel Management, Kolkata, 2002.
Mental Health / Behavioural Science
- PhD (Specialized in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy), University of Mysore, 2004.
- MPhil (Specialized in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy), NIMHANS, Bengaluru,1999.
- Masters (Mental Health), University of Mysore, 1997.
- BA (Psychology, Criminology and Forensic Science), Maharaja’s College, University of Mysore, 1995.
- 1st Rank to University of Mysore, four Gold Medals, cash prizes (Bachelor’s Degree).
- 2nd rank to University of Mysore (Master’s Degree).
- 4th rank, NIMHANS, (Master of Philosophy Degree).
- Obtained National Merit Scholarship for Bachelor’s & Master’s degrees.
- Obtained Research Fellowship for MPhil (NIMHANS) and PhD (Univ of Mysore) programs.
- UGC JRF (2000) & SLET (2000).
- Both the PhD’s were highly commended.
Teaching, Training, Research areas
- Organizational Design & Development
- Performance Management Systems
- Learning and Development
- Compensation and Benefits
- Psychopathology and Psychotherapeutics
- Total Quality Management / Quality Management Systems
- Outcome Based Education
- Hospital Management & Health Care Administration
- Mental Health / Behavioral Science
Professional Body Membership
- Academy of International Business – AIB – Member
- National Institute of Personnel Management – NIPM – Alumni & Life Member.
- National Human Resources Development Network – NHRD - Life Member.
- Indian Psychiatric Society – IPS - Life Member.
- Indian Psychiatric Society – IPS – South Zone – Life Member.
- Indian Association of Clinical Psychology – IACP - Professional Life Member.
- World Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation – WAPR – Life Member
- Indian Society for Professional Social Work – IAPSW – Life Member
FDP / SDP Assignments Conducted
- Knowledge and Skills Development for a Faculty. Duration is 6 days (2016- till date).
- Total Quality Management for Faculty and Staff members. Duration is 2 days. (Trainer). (2012- till date).
- Quality Documentation Practices for Faculty and Staff members. Duration is for 2 days (Trainer) (2012 till date).
- Office Etiquettes for Faculty and Staff of Educational Institutions. Duration is for 2 days. (Co-Trainer). Self-Financed Program, (2012 - till date).
- Office Etiquettes for Administration and Technical Staff of Educational Institutions. Duration is for 2 days. (Co-Trainer). Self-Financed Program, (2012 - till date).
- How to enhance patient satisfaction. Duration is for two days. (Co-Trainer). Self-Financed Program, (2007-13).
- Assessment of Hospitals and Health Care Institution. (Co-Trainer). Funded by TNHSP, Govt of TN and World Bank (2007-13).
- Training in Recording and Documentation for Staff in Health Care Institutions. (Co-Trainer). Funded by Plan India. (2008-09).
Significant Research Projects and Consulting Assignments conducted
- Assessment of Job Satisfaction among JSW Employees (as Co-I). The duration was for 6 months (Nov 2015 – March 2016). Funded by JSW, Ballari.
- Grading of ESI Hospitals (as Co-I). The duration was for 5 months (2009). Funded by Ministry of Labour, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- Increase in Female Birth Registration in Gulbarga District – An Exploration of the Reasons and Impact of this Trend (as P-I). The duration was for 5 months (July - December 2008). Funded by Plan India, New Delhi.
- Situation Analysis of Staffing, Roles, Responsibilities and Infrastructure regarding Birth Registration in Seven districts of Karnataka State (as P – I). The duration was for 5 months (January - August 2008). Funded by Plan India, New Delhi.
- Implementation of Universal Birth Registration in 8 Districts of Karnataka state (as P-I). The duration was for 3 years (July 2006 to June 2009). Funded by Plan India and Govt of Karnataka.
- Study of Manpower planning and Attrition among St Johns Employees (as Co-I). The duration was for 5 months. (Sept 2007 to Jan 2008). Funded by St Johns National Academy of Health Sciences, Bengaluru.
- Baseline evaluation of quality of care in secondary level hospitals in TN (as Co-I). The duration was for 1 year (Nov 2006 to Oct 2007). Funded by TNHSP, Govt of TN & The World Bank.
- Evaluation of St Johns Medical College Hospital (as Co-I). The duration was for 10 months (March – December 2006). Funded by St Johns National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore.
- Rehabilitation of Mine workers in Sanguem, Goa (as Co-I). The duration was for One year (2005-06). Funded by Goa Mineral Foundation.
- Assessment of Subjective wellbeing of Executives and Workers and its implications (as Co-I). The duration was for One year (2001-02). Funded by Rane Madras Limited, Mysore / Chennai
- A needs assessment study of adolescence education in Mysore District (as Consultant). The duration was for One year (1999-2000). Funded by NCERT, Government of India, New Delhi.
Research Areas & Significant Publications
- Organizational Design
- Organizational Learning and Development
- Psychodiagnostics and Psychotherapeutics
- Cognitive and Social Psychology
Significant Publications (in Journals)
- Urs GB & Bagali MM (2019). HR Students Perspective on HR Education in B-Schools: Redundancy in HR subjects. International Journal of Research and Analytical Review, Special Issue, May, Vol 6, Issue 4, 101-118.
- Urs GB & Bagali MM (2019). HR Academicians Perspective: HR Education in B-Schools. Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, Vol 6, Issue 4, 218-239.
- Urs GB & Bagali MM (2019). HR Education, HR Students perception and need for paradigm shift; An Analysis of B-School perspective. Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, Vol 6, Issue 2, 85-97.
- Urs GB & Bagali MM (2018). HR Education and Corporate Expectations: A paradigm shift in content, approach and methodology. International Journal of Advanced & Innovative Research, Vol 5, Issue 4, (XII), 111 - 126.
- Bagali MM & GB Urs (2016). Towards Restructuring the HR Education methodology and pedagogical approach: HR Academician perspective from B-Schools. International Journal of Research in Management, Economics and Commerce, Vol 06, Issue 10, 40-50.
- Bagali MM & GB Urs (2016). HR Education in B schools, HR Students perspectives and Areas and Levels of HR Students’ Satisfaction: Need to look at Relevance to Corporate Expectations. International Journal of Research in IT, Management and Engineering, Vol 06, Issue 10, 7-19.
- Urs GB & Bagali MM (2015). HR Students perspectives on HR Education in B-Schools. International Journal of Business & Administration Research Review, Vol 1, Issue 2, 120 - 127.
- Urs GB & Bagali MM (2015). HR Education in B-Schools: Perception of HR Students. Pariprashna, Vol 1, Issue 1, 140 - 149.
- D’Souza, L, & Urs, G.B. & Jayaraj R (2008). Relationship between Shyness guidance needed among adolescents. Journal of Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, Vol 34, No 2, 317-322.
- D’Souza, L, & Urs, G.B. (2007). Assessment of Shyness among adolescent students studying in rural and urban areas: Influence of gender and age. Asia Pacific review of Rural and Tribal Issues. Vol 1, 10-14.
- D’Souza, L, Urs GB, & Siddegowda, YS (2005). A comparative study of occupational stress among executives, managers and engineers. Pakistan Journal of Psychological Research. 20, 15-20
- D’Souza, L, Urs GB & Ramaswamy C (2002). Relationship of Self Esteem with Shyness, Personality and Academic Achievements in High School Students. Artha Journal of Social Sciences, Vol 1, No 2, 228 – 234.
- D’Souza, L, Nikilish, V., Roy A T., & Urs, G.B. (2001). Shyness, self esteem, dental disharmony and orthodontic treatment. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology. 28, 56-60.
- D’Souza, L, & Urs, G.B. (2001). Effect of Shyness on adjustment among high school students. Pakistan Journal of Psychological Research. 16, 85-94.
- Guptha, R.A., Joseph, R., Urs., G. B., D’souza, L. (2001). Assessment of Psychiatric morbidity among Hansen’s diseases and other dermatological disease patients: An Indian perspective. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 24, 39-46.
- D’Souza, L, Urs, G.B., & Sudhakar, J. (2000). Assessment of self esteem: Its influence on shyness, personality and academic achievement on high school students. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 30, 78-82.
- Siddegowda, Y.S., Urs, G.B., & D’Souza, L. (2000). Assessment of vulnerability to major medical and psychiatric illnesses: A study of Executives, Managers and Engineers. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 27, 129-133.
- D’Souza, L &. Urs, G.B., Sudhakar, J. (2000). Assessment of Shyness: Its influence on Personality and academic achievement on high school students. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 27, 286-289.
- Siddegowda, Y.S., Urs, G.B., & D’Souza, L. (2000). Coping strategies among Executives, Managers and Engineers. Organizational Management. XVI, 10-15.
- Urs, G.B., D’Souza, L., Kumar, G. V., & Singh, M. (1997). A study of presumptive stress among cancer patients. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 24, 131-135.
International Conference proceedings (paper presentations/publication)
- Urs GB (2018). “HR Education and Corporate expectations: A paradigm shift in content, approach and methodology”. A Paper presented in the second prime (AC working group) International Conference, Organized by CBSMS, Bengaluru University, on 29th September 2018.
- Urs, GB (2016). “HR Academicians perspectives on HR Education in B-schools”. A paper presented and published in the International Conference of Management Education and Practices. Conducted by CBSMS, Bangalore University.
- Urs, GB (2015). “HR Education in B-schools: Perception of HR students”. A paper presented and published in the International Conference on "Rescripting India's Growth Story", conducted by Jain University, Bengaluru.
- Urs GB & Shiva Prasad R (2006). “A study of the factors influencing the loss of traditional sports in Mandya District”. A paper presented and published in the International conference of Sports and Physical Education, Manipal University, Manipal.
- Siddegowda YS & GB Urs (2005). “Child labor in India: Present status and future prospects: A case study of Karnataka state”. A paper presented and published in the 17th APSWC, Tokyo. Japan.
- Ramisetty J & Urs GB (2005). Alcohol, Drug Use & Sexual behavior among college students: Need for 3rd Sector intervention. A paper presented and published in the IV ISTR, Asia Pacific Regional Conference, Bangalore
- Rao T.S.S., Vasumathy, S., Urs, GB., Guptha,R.A., Rajesh R., & Sanjay P. (2001). “An epidemiological study of desire disorders in women”. A paper presented and published in the 15th World Conference on Sexology, Paris, France.
- Rao T.S.S., Vasumathy, S., Urs, GB., Guptha, R.A., Rajesh R., & Sanjay P. (2001). “A study of sexual practices in general population”. A paper presented and published in the 15th World Conference on Sexology, Paris, France.
National Conference proceedings (paper presentations/publication)
- Urs GB (2019). “HR Academicians perspectives on HR Education in B-schools”. A paper presented in a National conference titled “AIGS Business Conclave – 2019, organized by Acharya Institute of Graduate Studies, on 8th April 2019.
- Urs GB (2019). “HR students’ perspectives on HR Education in B-schools: Redundancy in HR Subjects”. A paper presented in the 4th National Conference on “HR-360 – Talent, Technology and Ideas”, conference organized by Jain University, on 28th February 2019.
- Urs GB (2016). “HR Practitioner's perspectives on HR Education in B Schools: Insights”. A paper presented and published in the national conference on “Changing role of HRM: Strategic opportunities and challenges", conducted by Jain University, Bengaluru in March 2016.
- Urs GB (2016). “HR Academicians perception of HR Education in B-schools”. A paper presented and published in the national conference on "Disruptive Innovations in Businesses - Lessons for Industry and B-schools" organized by Reva University, Bengaluru, in January 2016
- Urs GB (2015): “HR Education in B-Schools: Perception of HR Academicians”. A paper presented in Research Conference titled “Research Retreat: Exploring Pathways, Unlocking Ideas”, organized by Jain University, Bengaluru on 31st January and 1st February 2015.
- Bhanuprakash, R, Urs GB, Mohan A (2004). “Alopecia Areata: A psycho – dermatological study”. A paper presented and published in the Annual National Conference of Dermatologists, Indian Dermatological Society Mumbai, May 2004.
- Rao T.S.S., Guptha, R.A., Urs. G B, Marutham, P., & Basavaraj M. (2000). A study on sexual functioning in Schizophrenics on Olanzapine. A paper presented and published in the National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society, (ANCIPS) Poona.
- Urs, G.B., & Siddegowda, Y.S., DSouza, L. (2000). Occupational stress among Executives, Managers and Engineers. A paper presented and published in the Annual National Conference of Indian Society of Professional Social Work, Mysore.
Participated in the National Conferences / Workshops
- Participated in National Conference titled “Innovation in Education for a Competent Industry”. Organized by CII, Mysore chapter, on 15 and 16th March 2019.
- Participated in “Helping our students get through college”. 5-day skill enhancement program for Faculty and administrators of Higher Education Institutions. Organized by GAT, from 21st to 25th January 2019, Bengaluru.
- Participated in National workshop titled “New approach to the Revised Assessment and Accreditation of NAAC”. Organized by GAT, Bengaluru on 4th January 2019.
- Participated in a National Conference titled “Indian Higher Education – Challenges of Quality and Brand Building”. Organized by EPSFI, India on 24th November 2018.
- Participated in a National Conference titled “Engendering Technological Excellence in Higher Education”. National conference organized by Krista Jayanthi College, Bengaluru, on 19 and 20th January 2017.
Invited as Chairperson (at Conferences/Panel discussions)
- Invited as Chairperson, to “International Conference Avant Garde-2017”. Organized by Seshadripuram First Grade College, Yelahanka, Bengaluru, on 7th October 2017.
- Invited as Chairperson. International Conference on “Latest Trends in Engineering and Management” on 10th–12th Sept 2013.Technical session Chairperson. SIET Tumkur.
- Invited as Chairperson. National Conference on “Innovative Management Strategies to Tackle Global Economic Crisis – India’s preparedness”. 7th & 8th June 2013. JSS ATE, Bengaluru.
- Invited as Chairperson. National conference on “Innovative Practices in Management” on 9th November 2012, as a Chief Guest and Technical session Chairperson. SIET, Tumkur. November 2012.
- Worked as Editorial Coordinator (2000-2002) for Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine and its News Letter.